Julie Garrison focuses her practice on Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) Compliance. She joined Nyhan’s MSP group in April 2017 and holds both Medicare Set-Aside Certified Consultant (MSCC) and Certified Medicare Secondary Payer Professional (CMSP) accreditations. Her work comprises analysis, allocation, and submission of Medicare Set-Aside (MSA) plans and resolution of conditional payments including all levels of disputes and appeals.
Having started her career as a Staff Attorney and Supervisor for the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission, followed by several decades as defense counsel for a large labor and employment law firm and a boutique workers’ compensation defense firm, Julie brings extensive experience and skills to the MSP practice. Understanding each client and claim presents a unique set of facts and factors, she provides thorough analysis, solid future medical care projections and approvals, and effective settlement strategies and solutions. Julie also represents employers including healthcare providers, public schools, and corporate manufacturers, both insured and self-insured, in state workers’ compensation claims.
Julie is a longstanding member of the Woman’s Club of Evanston, having served as multiple committee chairs including for the Bylaws and Strategic Planning Committee. She works on Club fundraising and charitable giving activities. In her community, she served as a Park Board Commissioner for the Kenilworth Park District when the District assumed ownership and maintenance of historic village properties and structures. Her past and ongoing efforts include expanded programming and the development, preservation, and beautification of village parklands.
In her free time, Julie enjoys spending time with her family as well as reading, knitting, and all kinds of music.
- National Medicare Secondary Payer Network (Formerly NAMSAP)
- Data & Development Committee, Member
- Woman’s Club of Evanston, member, 2003 – present
- Past Board Member
- Served as Chair of Bylaws & Strategic Planning Committee and Yearbook Subcommittee
- Contributions and other Club Committees, Member
- Kenilworth Park District
- Past Board member
- Serves on beautification and grant funding efforts
- Kenilworth Union Church, member, 1993 – present
- Past Rummage Chair
- Served on Outreach Committee and Music Ministry
- “Medicare for All” for the MSP Mindset
- Confounded About Compounded Medications? A Primer for Claims Management
- Back to Baltimore: MSP Network Annual Conference News
- Crossing the Threshold: What’s included in the Total Settlement Amount?
- NAMSAP 2019: I’m All In
- Get “Informed” About the New Consent to Release for Medicare Set-Asides
- Julie Garrison Earns Certified Medicare Secondary Payer Professional Certification
- Staying In Your Lane: Navigating the Ethics of Medicare Set-Asides
- Narcan in Workers’ Compensation Medicare Set-Asides
- 30 Acts of Service for 30 Years
- UR: What Is It Good For?
- A New WCRC Contractor, Changes to Allocations and the WCMSA Reference Guide
- Diagnostic Studies in the Allocation: Guiding Principles
- The Opioid Crisis and Medical Marijuana for Injured Illinois Workers: POTential Claims Management and Workplace Issues