Keith Herman concentrates his practice in workers’ compensation defense at both the trial and appellate levels. Keith has extensive experience working with self-insured and insured clients. He represents a diverse cross-section of employers, including those in manufacturing, retail, healthcare, food service, hospitality, and municipalities.
Keith works proactively with clients to prevent workers’ compensation claims through training and coaching. Once a case is filed, he strives to mitigate clients’ exposure to potential claims by developing creative, aggressive defense action plans.
Keith appreciates that no two clients are the same. He approaches each case mindful that workers’ compensation cases represent part of the client’s broader business operations system and require the utmost attention to detail and commitment. As such, Keith draws from his prior experience in business management to develop strategies designed to control the costs of the workers’ compensation case and minimize the disruption of the overall business operation.
Clients turn to Keith for his willingness to listen and understand the issues driving each case as well as their desired outcome. Through this approach, his clients know that Keith will develop customized and outcome-driven defense strategies that have achieved positive resolutions time after time.
Knowing the practice of law is constantly evolving, Keith strongly believes that attorneys must continue to educate themselves on how the law is changing and, most importantly, share this information with clients so that they can make informed decisions in managing their workers’ compensation claims.
Prior to joining the firm, Keith worked in Retail Management for Osco Drug. While attending law school at night, he eventually moved out of retail operations into Risk Management for American Stores Company, the parent company of Jewel Foods, Osco Drug, and Acme Markets, where he was responsible for multi-jurisdictional general liability claims, including products liability, premises liability, property damage, and subrogation claims. Keith designed and implemented a temporary alternative work program for workers’ compensation for both retail and distribution operations. He also trained and counseled retail operations managers in claim prevention and investigation.
In his free time, Keith enjoys listening to music, traveling, classic car shows, and refinishing furniture.
- Illinois Self Insurers’ Association,
- Executive Director, 2018-present
- Executive Secretary, 2015-2018
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Association
- Advocates Society
- Editor and Contributor, Illinois Self-Insurers’ Association (ISIA) Nuts and Bolts Workshop and ISIA Website
- Contributor, Illinois Self-Insurers’ Association Social Media Publications
- Editor and Contributor, Illinois Self-Insurers’ Association Quarterly Newsletter
- Contributor, “The Attack on the Exclusivity Provision of the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act Continues,” NBKL Blog
- Lecturer, Illinois Self-Insurers’ Association Nuts & Bolts Seminars, 2009-2018, 2022
- Lecturer, Illinois Self-Insurers’ Association Annual Educational Seminar Case Law Update, 2013-2018
- Moderator, Illinois Self-Insurers’ Association Annual Educational Seminar, 2019-2021
- Moderator, AMA Impairment Ratings Symposium, Illinois Self-Insurers’ Association Annual Meeting, 2012
- Moderator, “Hip Arthroscopy and the Injured Worker,” American Hip Institute and Illinois Self-Insurers’ Association Webinar, 2021
- Moderator, “COVID-19 Vaccines in the Workplace: Are You Ready?” Illinois Self-Insurers’ Association Webinar, 2021
- Moderator, “The Stacked Deck: Using Poker Theory to Better Manage Workers’ Comp Claims,” Illinois Self-Insurers’ Association Webinar, 2021
- Moderator, “Assessing Accident Compensability in 2020,” Illinois Self-Insurers’ Association Webinar, 2020
- Lecturer, “Freeze the Facts: Accident Investigation Best Practices,” Illinois Manufacturers Association, 2020
- Lecturer, Workers’ Compensation Comp Forum, 2012-2015
- Moderator, “Workers’ Compensation and the Illinois Business Climate,” Illinois Self-Insurers’ Association Annual Meeting, 2010
- Workers’ Compensation seminars to Sedgwick, CCMSI, Protective Insurance
- Twelve Nyhan Attorneys Honored on 2023 Leading Lawyers Roster
- Daniel Ugaste and Keith Herman Presenting at Illinois’ Manufacturers’ Association Workers’ Compensation Conference
- The Attack on the Exclusivity Provision of the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act Continues
- Exclusive Remedy Provision of the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act; the Impact When a Business Engages in an Illegal Activity
- What’s New at the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission