Martha Gely-Kruto concentrates her practice on workers’ compensation and is skilled in trial practice, representing and defending employers throughout Illinois in workers’ compensation matters—a field in which she has nearly 20 years of experience.
She initially joined the firm as an Associate in April 2013 and has been serving as a Partner since January 2016.
Martha proudly serves as Nyhan’s Chief Diversity Officer, a position she has held since 2020. In this role, Martha chairs the Diversity & Inclusion Committee, strengthening the firm through honest dialogue about diversity and inclusion. She strongly advocates for change and champions inclusion and fair practices for the firm and its clients.
Outside of her legal practice, Martha is a member of the Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Association and Defense Research Institute.
Prior to joining the firm, Martha worked as an attorney for Gumbiner & Associates, an attorney and field consultant for Liberty Mutual Insurance, and an attorney and legal consultant for ATI Physical Therapy.
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Captive Insurance on Catastrophic Claims,” Titan Risk Control Workshop, 2019
- “Management of Catastrophic Workers’ Compensation Claims,” Illinois Self-Insurer’s Association Nuts & Bolts Seminar, 2016 – 2018
- Nurse Case Manager Seminar/Mock Trial 2008
- Lead counsel in an arbitration representing a contractor that fabricated and installed a 300-ft post-tensioned concrete wind tower for a wind energy farm in northwestern Illinois and secured an award of almost $3 million including attorneys’ fees and costs. Jurisdiction